Sunday 20 September 2009

XX marks the spot

They're my latest obsession and I'll tell you why.

It didn't occur to me that I would have heard of the band The XX before, until I googled their video 'Crystalised' and realised I've heard a remix of it! So, yes, to your, question, sir, of why I've not heard of them before and my latter response was 'too many indie bands out there!' - I take it back.

The XX, a four-piece member band from London who debuted their album 'XX' not too recently in August, make cool pop-electronica-shoegazing tunes worthy of rounds of play. Out of the 11 tracks, what caught my attention are 'Intro' (which has hints of White Lies), 'VCR', 'Islands' and 'Shelter', which quickly became my favourites. And what makes this mature band stand out is the fact that the members are all in their twenties only! What was I doing in my twenties again?!

Upon closer inspection, the lyrics hint loudly at sex and interpersonal relationships (like in 'Shelter' where girl/boy duo Romy and Oliver cooed over lyrics like "Can I make it better/ With the lights turned on" and in 'Crystalised' where the characters lament over their relationship woes "So don't think that I'm pushing you away, When you're the one that I've kept closest.")

While bassist Oliver doesn't have the strongest voice to pull off the songs (you'll need someone like Gary Lightbody's falsetto), Romy's hush-hush purring kitten voice saves the album and makes everything OKAY.

No comments: